City Church is non-denominational, Evangelical, and part of the Acts 29 church planting network
Characteristics of City Church (and all A29 churches):
- Gospel-Centered – everything we do as a church will come from and revolve around the Gospel.
- Reformed – our theology highlights the sovereign and gracious work of God in the whole process of salvation.
- Missional – our goal as a church is to train missionaries to reach people with the Gospel, and everything we do as a church will be through the lens of “how does this help us with our mission of reaching people?” Instead of the church being a place where people come to get their spiritual needs met (consumer mindset), the church is a place where people are equipped and trained in the Gospel to go out and be on mission for God. The incarnation of Jesus is our model – go to them, instead of waiting for them to come to us.
3 Key Elements of City Church:
- Gospel Communities (small groups on steroids) – the core of who we are – groups of people that are living life together, following Jesus together, and going on mission together
- Community Involvement – partnering with organizations in the community to “do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God” (Micah 6.8)
- Sunday Gathering – gathering for music, preaching, baptism, and communion. The primary goal is to equip people to go back out on mission each week for the Gospel.
Here’s a 10-minute video called, “Who is City Church?”:
Here’s a 30-minute video called, “What is a Gospel Community?”:
Why the name “City Church”:
- We have a heart for the city of Cape, especially the downtown area, which we believe is the most spiritually needy and neglected part of town. We want to “seek the peace of the city” through our love, compassion, and service in the community (Jer. 29.7).
- “For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.” – Hebrews 13.14
- “By faith Abraham was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.” – Hebrews 11.10
- “Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy mountain, beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth.” – Psalm 48.1-2
- “I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.’” – Rev. 21.2-4